20 April 2010

Keeping Safe on the Streets

Lying in Wait by Ally Mac

Quite often I find myself walking home alone at night and even though I know the streets pretty well it's still very important to keep safe as you never know who or what might be around the corner. I know I'm not the only girl who walks home alone and with all the bad news and stories you hear this can make you feel very vulnerable so I thought I'd share a few tips on staying safe.

Make sure someone knows where you are - After a late night out my friends and I always check in to let each other know we're home safely. It doesn't matter where you are or what you're doing it's always a good idea to let someone know where you are or where you're going.

Take a defence class - Just in case you're unlucky and get in a bad situation it's always good to have some knowledge of how to defend yourself, it's also a great activity to enjoy with your girl friends but be warned throwing each other on crash mats can lead to a bad case of the giggles!

Stick to busy, bright, well lit areas - Even if it's going to take you slightly longer to get home try to avoid those places which are quiet and dark.

Be aware of your surroundings - That means not listening to your ipod full blast and to keep an eye out for anyone looking suspicious just in case you are being followed.

Get a personal alarm - I personally own one from isa security, I keep it hanging off my handbag at all times and it's really small and discrete, unlike the alarms of the past, but should you need it lets out a very powerful loud sharp shriek like a woman screaming definitely more effective than your regular alarms!

Be confident! - If you're in a new place which is unfamiliar to or even if you're in a place you're familiar with don't look scared, confused or look like a victim try and make yourself look strong and confident even if you're not feeling it inside.

I've been lucky not to have anything happen to me and hopefully I'll never will have anything bad happen to me but it's always important to be prepared and keep yourself safe when you're out especially if you're on your own, I hope this has somewhat helped a few of my readers out there.

Take Care & Keep Safe
Cate
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment