28 July 2011

The Frequent Flyer: Sunrise in the Skies


It's been a life long dream of mine to go up in a hot air balloon, the whole experience seems so dreamy and magical to me, the thought of just floating in the skies and going wherever the wind blows is something I sure most adventurers dream of so when the opportunity came up for me to finally take to the skies in a balloon I leaped at the chance!


Sunrise is best time to go hot air ballooning as the winds are more stable so my wake-up call came at a very early 4am, so after a few stretches, a quick shower and a lack of coffee (no toilets aboard the balloon!) our ride arrived to take us to the launch site.


When it comes to ballooning you're pretty much working with the wind so the launch site for the day by chance happened to be a car park at the back of Wal Mart, here the baskets were set up and the balloons were heated and before we knew it we were in the skies.


At this point I'd like to mention how my dad was dreading this experience, he has a fear of heights so wasn't looking forward to being at the mercy of the wind in a big basket however once we were in the air his fear disappeared as it was every bit the magical, calm and beautiful experience I had imagined it to be.


Floating over the Nevada desert was on of the best experiences of my life looking (and waving) at the people below was so much fun and in vast contrast to the craziness of The Strip, it was just the perfect way to start the day.


 Our flight time was just over an hour but I honestly could have stayed for days just floating on the wind and seeing where it took me but unfortunately we were out of fuel and running out of safe landing sites, so our journey ended in a field on the south side of Las Vegas.


So after we helped pack up the balloon we visited a local park to toast our pilot and our safe journey. Hot air ballooning is something I definitely want to do more of as I loved the experience so much and would recommend it to anyone and everyone to try out at least once, if you're anything like me you'll be hooked and looking for your next ballooning adventure!

Balloons &Happy Adventures
Cate
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment